WEEK TWO REVIEW

Monday, August 19, 2013



Hi everyone! I don't necessarily expect that you all we're anxiously awaiting my next post, but I do apologize for not posting for an entire week. I found out early last week that a good friend of mine from high school passed away in a very tragic car accident. So needless to say I wasn't completely motivated to blog about our lives because I was spending the week reflecting on someone else's. Eric had a beautiful service on Saturday morning, and I feel like I've had some adequate time to grieve. So now I am back on the blog, and ready to finish this month strong!

You should be proud to know, however, that last week we stuck to our word, did not spend a thing! If you noticed to your right, our savings meter has risen to the halfway mark towards our goal! ;)

Despite a week of mourning there were a few highlights throughout...

I tried a couple of crockpot meals for dinner, and both were actually pretty good!




First up was Pizza Casserole. And mine did not look like this, even though it was very good! We didn't have any pepperoni, and Scott is very particular about not consuming cooked vegetables, so it more or less came out like baked ziti. It tasted fine, but I don't think that the 1 cup of water the recipe called for was enough. The pasta was not completely covered, and by the time we got to the crockpot to eat after a few hours, we had an extra crunchy layer of pasta to eat through on top. It was still bearable though, and the cooked pasta underneath was delicious.






My more victorious crockpot recipe however was my crockpot barbeque pulled pork. It was soooo good. And so simple. I took two frozen porkchops, stuck them in the crockpot covered it in about 2 cups of Dr. Pepper, and a little bit of Liquid Smoke. I didn't measure anything but I would guess it was about 3-4 tablespoons? I cooked it on high for about 8 hours. When we walked through the door that evening our house smelt like our own barbeque smokehouse. SO. FREAKIN'. GOOD.

Other highlights include the best cookies I've ever made:



Martha Stewart's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Recipe:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
  • 1 1/4 cups rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup light-brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
When I made these, I omitted the pecans, used whole wheat flour, and chopped a bar of dark chocolate to make chocolate chunks. I also doubled the recipe and scooped out the dough in 1/4 cupfuls to create giant cookies. Bake at 350º for 11 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.

And finished off the week, and really the summer, relaxing with some friends by the pool.




























Even though last week was a very rough one, I've been reminded just how thankful I am for my friends, faith, and life.

Week three should consist of that week long deep cleaning schedule I mentioned way back in the beginning, and on Wednesday, we are finally selling our car! Exciting stuff. Come back to check for more tomorrow.





In loving memory of Eric Harrison
1991-2013









You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Subscribe