A LETTER TO OUR FRIENDS

Monday, July 15, 2013

So, I know that we're still two weeks (+) out from August. But I have to say I am SOOOOO excited to start our August Spending Freeze! That's 31 days of us spending ZERO MONEY. Am I crazy for being excited for that? Probably.

Here's our game plan: Starting on August 1st, we will not be spending any money on anything other than our essential bills. That's rent, utilities, cell phones, some selective groceries, and gas. We also have a couple of events we are budgeting in such as one wedding gift, and a doctor's appointment. One other event I have coming up is a going away party for a little group of friends that are moving away at the end of the month (two of them to different countries, so cool!) So I might stow away a tiny bit of cash to fund that party, but what I'm challenging myself to do, is to put together this party (decorations and all) for ZERO dollars! I hope you guys will come around and read that post!

I know I'm a little ahead of myself in introducing this project, and I'm trying to be short as to not give too much away, but this post is mainly a letter to our close friends. We would like to include you all in what we're doing with our spending freeze. To put it lightly we have a LOT of debt. And it's debt we are not proud of. Through our first year of marriage we made a couple of foolish decisions with how we were swiping that credit card of ours and it piled up fast! And even though we wish we weren't having to make a credit card payment each month on previous poor choices, we still continue to have pretty bad spending habits now as well. Our hope in these 31 days of spending zero is that we drastically change, and break some of our impulsive ways so that we can be better stewards of our finances.


Our goal for August is to save $1400. Thank goodness for an extra paycheck next month!!! You can stop by and keep up with our savings total with this handy little meter I made to the right.

Each day I have an activity planned that I'll be posting about, with reflections at the end of each week. I will be getting most of the daily activities from the blog that started this all Living Well Spending Less. These will be activities to help organize our home life, and keep us from spending any money during the month. I even have a calendar planned out for free date nights for our weekends! I'm really excited to explore our city in a way we never have before (for free, too!)

Friends, (and random readers, too) what I ask of you all is that you would please keep us accountable. This is a huge issue in our life that needs to be addressed, and we hope that you will walk alongside us in this venture. That means sometimes we will have to tell you no to things like going out to eat, or other activities that include spending money. And we won't want to. So sometimes, you should probably tell us no. That doesn't mean we're going to disappear for the month. We hope that if things like that do come up we will be able to tag along without spending money, but if that's not really an option, just please help us in being able to refrain until the month is over. That would the best way to love us during this time! I'm excited to see what happens! Only 16 days left!


I'll be posting more details as the time grows closer, so please check back when you can!




You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hi! Stumbled upon your blog through Pinterest. You are definitely not crazy for being excited about a no spending month because I am the exact same way! Wishing you all the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sam! I'm hoping this excitement of our potential savings will override our disappointment of not satisfying temporary wants!

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook

Subscribe